Sunday, December 31, 2006

2007, Here We Come


Well, gang, it’s resolution time. And this year, my resolution affects you, my occasionally loyal readers. You see, after many misfires, I’ve decided that 2007 will be the Year of the Novel. I’m resolving to finish a novel and send it out the door in 2007. I’ve been tinkering with a little something for years now, a trilogy of short stories featuring the same characters, and I’ve decided to weld them together into a novel. I’ve got about 31,000 words down and I figure about 45,000 more would make a decent sized book. At first, my goal was to get the first draft done by the end of March, but then I realized once I reached that goal, I’d probably just let the first draft sit there for many more years. So, I expanded the goal.

“How does this affect me,” you ask? Certain things have to take a back seat to the goal. Not that I’m quitting anything, but my daily work on the novel takes first priority from here on out. I want to lose about twenty more pounds (I’ve lost seventeen since Halloween) and build some muscle up so I don’t look like a flabby-skinned stickboy, but if at the end of the day, I only have time for one thing, the novel comes before the exercise. So, I have no idea what kind of impact this is going to have on the daily blog story. Perhaps you won’t notice a difference, perhaps there won’t be another story for a year. The reality will probably be somewhere between these two extremes. I’m preparing you now.

I still haven’t thought up a story for today, but I’ve still got nearly five hours to go.

I posted this bulletin on MySpace a couple hours back:

I want to wish all of you a 2007 that will shake your soul and show you meaning through the
simple act of doing that which you haven't done before.

Tell those people you love that you love them. Go outside and take a deep breath and feel it in
your lungs. Relive what your heartbeat feels like when you're doing something so exciting or
terrifying that the experience will stay with you forever.

And for once, stop listening to those people.

No comments: